Thursday, January 7, 2010

Desk Drawer Ramblings



Hello blog. It's been awhile. Happy New Year. My Resolutions for the year? Eliminate some credit card debt, find a career/living location that makes me feel happy, and stick to my blog. And by stick, I mean averaging more than 1 post a year. So really, no need to make my blog one of your "favorites" until you see at least 4 of these posts go out into cyber space. Unless, you know, you like feeling let down (I'm great at bringing people back to reality). :)

SO another year. Why stick to the blog you ask? I've always liked to write. Over the course of my education I've taken many writing classes and always wish I had the wit and ability to write a novel. My favorite author as of late? Jen Lancaster. You may know her by great works such as "Bitter is the New Black" or "Bright Lights, Big Ass." If you haven't read her you should check her out. She is one of the rare authors that has me laughing out loud after nearly every page. Anyway, she has inspired me to start a notebook of short stories at work entitled: "Desk Drawer Ramblings or My Quest to write a Memoir During the 9-5". Today, to kick off 2010, I thought I would share my first entry....

KILLER SHOES

A new leasing agent came in to the office today to interview for a position. Her attire far bettered my black Bermuda shorts and aged pink cardigan. The best part of her outfit? The 4 inch shiny pink (dark pink not baby girl pink) alligator scaled pumps that adorned her feet. I quickly shuffled to my office, embarrassed by my $20 DSW shoe find I was so excited about this morning.

I need to go shopping. First, new dress pants, much needed as my office is always -100 degrees even when the weather is a balmy 85 degrees outside. Second, equally important, dress shoes...beautiful, tall, leg slimming, adorable shoes. Now must find surplus in my tight budget for said purchases. Ufta... (See Danish Dictionary for adequate explanation of the many uses and definitions of "ufta")

In case you were wondering I work in Property Management. I am an Assistant Property Manager of a 372 unit property in Denver, Colorado. Basically this means I'm the property accountant. I handle all the money issues as well as resident relations issues as they arise. (I have been known to yell at people if they are stupid or make me mad. I'm flawed. It's true.) The job is stable...which is all you can ask for in today's economy. I worked in finance for a little over a year starting in the summer of 2008. I've always been great at "timing" job moves. Sure! I'll take a 100% commission job in finance right as the entire economy begins to crumble (hence previously mentioned credit card debt). Anyway, here I am now...a "time thief" (see Office episode "Business Ethics" Season 5, Episode 2), working for the weekend...Dreaming of those killer pink pumps.

No comments:

Post a Comment